Reporting a Complaint

Legal notice

How to Report a Complaint

If you would like to submit a formal complaint against a health care worker, medical professional, or an entire facility, you may do so using the information below.

South Dakota Medical Facilities:

1. South Dakota Department of Health: If you would like to file a complaint concerning abuse, poor quality, or neglect by a health care facility or nurse aid, call or write:

Diana Weiland, RN, Complaint Coordinator
Office of Health Care Facilities Licensure & Certification 
South Dakota Department of Health
615 E. 4th St.
Pierre, SD 57501

Please describe the incident in detail, providing all concerned names and facilities, including the date and time of the incident. Then submit your complaint in writing. You will NOT be identified.

2. South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners: The SDBMOE's mission is to protect the health and welfare of the state's citizens by assuring that only qualified medical professionals are licensed to practice. All complaints should be submitted on the Board's complaint form or by mail to:

SD Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners
101 N. Main Avenue, Suite 301
Sioux Falls, SD 57104

3. South Dakota Board of Nursing: If you believe a nurse has committed any violations, we encourage you to report this complaint to the Board of Nursing staff by phone, fax, or email.

Gloria Damgaard, RN; MS, FRE, Executive Director
4305 South Louise Ave., Suite 201
Sioux Falls, SD 57106-3115
605-362-2768 (fax)

Please make sure to include the nature of the complaint, the nurse's name, and any other information that may be of use to the investigation.

4. Nursing Home Facilities: If you would like to file a complaint about a nursing home administrator, you must do so in writing to the Board. Send complaints to:

Brittany Novotny, Executive Secretary
PO Box #340
1351 N. Harrison Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501

For complaints concerning nursing homes or their care, we recommend contacting:

The Ombudsman's Office
Department of Social Services

5. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS): Here is a list of common complaints that beneficiaries file with CMS:
Received the wrong medication
Underwent inappropriate surgery
Received erroneous dose of medication
Experienced an error in treatment
Received inadequate care or treatment by any healthcare professional
Was discharged too soon
Change in the condition was not treated
Received inadequate discharge instructions

To contact someone directly, call 1-800-MEDICARE

6. Pharmacies: Please fill all complaints or concerns about a pharmacist with:

Board of Pharmacy
4305 South Louise Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57106

All complaints must include a brief description of the violation believed to have been committed. It must also be signed by the Board and contain a valid telephone number and address where the complainant can be reached.

7. The Joint Commission: The Joint Commission is the governing body responsible for accrediting and certifying over 18,000 health care organizations and programs throughout the entire United States. To report a complaint, please visit their website or file the complaint via fax, phone, or post.

Office of Quality Monitoring The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181
800-994-6610 (available weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Time)
Fax: 630-792-5636

Please summarize your complaint in two pages or less and include all pertinent information, names, and locations.

8. To report a complaint directly to a specific hospital or clinic, you will generally have to go through a Patient Services Representative or the Risk Administration Department. Call the facility directly or check the website to find out if they have a specific complaint procedure. If you cannot locate any information, address a written complaint to the facility with Attention: Risk Management Department. It is important to note that the facility has no legal obligation to respond.
Consultations Available
Call Johnson Eiesland Law Offices, P.C. for help concerning your medical complaints and concerns.
Share by: